A study of immigrant assimilation using both Facebook advertising data and a traditional survey. For more information, please refer to the WebConf 2019 paper here:
Stewart, I., Flores, R., Riffe, T., Weber, I., & Zagheni, E. (2019). Rock, Rap, or Reggaeton?: Assessing Mexican Immigrants' Cultural Assimilation Using Facebook Data. WebConf 2019.
Running the code requires installing packages with
We need Python2.7 for
PySocialWatcher until it gets upgraded to Python3+ (TBD).
conda create -n assimilation_py27 python=2.7 anaconda conda install -r requirements.txt
Before running code, the environment should be activated:
conda activate assimilation_py27
All code should be run from the base directory, e.g.:
To deactivate the environment after running code:
- Measuring immigrant assimilation on Facebook: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1801.09430.pdf
- Social ties of immigrant communities: https://research.fb.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/the-social-ties-of-immigrant-communities-in-the-united-states.pdf
- Monitoring migrant stock: http://www.zagheni.net/uploads/3/4/4/7/34477700/zagheni_weber_gummadi_2017_accepted_version.pdf
- American FactFinder (census data; American Community Survey estimates): https://factfinder.census.gov/
- Pew Hispanic (census data): http://www.pewhispanic.org/2017/05/03/facts-on-u-s-immigrants-current-data/